I’ve been plugging away at my list, especially the one that includes eating! Here’s my master list of local restaurants.
1. Z Pizzeria: Near our house, locally owned, and delicious. The Chicken Wing pizza is awesome!
Other reviews: Yelp
2. Desert Edge Brewery: The Captain and I got our of our shells (well, I got out of mine at least. I think he is mostly shell-less) and went to a meetup of a website we read at Desert Edge, then went back for dinner the following week. Wasn’t a huge fan of the French Onion soup but the Spicy Beef Dip was very good.
Other Reviews: Yelp
3. Pie Hole I wanted to have a quick lunch with The Captain the other day and decided to stop in here and grab a pre-made slice. The bacon and potato was really interesting and different, but I think I am usually up on my quota of grease so I probably won’t be stopping in here regularly.
Other reviews: In This Week / Yelp
4. Este Pizza: A friend of ours had raved about Este, calling it some of his favorite New York style pizza in the state, so we finally broke down and gave it a shot when we got some coupons in the mail. A medium, thin-crust pepperoni and some garlic knots later, I think they’re pretty solid. The pizza was really good, and not overly greasy like at the Pie Hole, but the garlic knots were not what we were expecting. They were a little on the tough side for one, and they were doused in actual garlic bits. I’m a fan of garlic but this was a bit much for me. I’m sure those who love it more than I do would really appreciate these, but overall we were glad we got them for free.
5. Stella Grill: This was a spur of the moment choice when the Captain and I couldn’t decide on dinner. He’d promised me a steak if I got an A on a paper I spent 14+ hours writing, so when I saw the Hangar Steak sandwich on the menu I figured that’d be my celebratory meal (90/80 on the paper. Nailed it!).
We started with an appetizer of bacon wrapped shrimp with jalapeno. Despite the winning-sounding title, I didn’t like this one at all. The shrimp seemed too delicate for the bacon, which wasn’t all that flavorful, so the whole thing just tasted like grease to me. Surprisingly enough, The Captain liked it a lot, despite not being a fan of shrimp any other way but doused in cocktail sauce.
My steak sandwich, though, was excellent. I had forgotten my nice camera at home so I took this awfully-sketchy looking pic with The Captain’s phone. Clearly, the picture does not do it justice:
Snarfed a bite before I remembered to take the picture. :(
The meat was really flavorful and juicy, and the bread underneath had a bit of a bite to it. I’ve had other sandwiches before where the bread is too soggy and doesn’t hold up to the meat on top, but this was a good balance. I almost got the French Onion soup with my meal but once we got there we realized that this restaurant is owned by the same group as Desert Edge, and their soup left a lot to be desired, imo.
Since it was a “hooray for A’s” dinner I opted for a giant piece of pie to wash down my dinner:
Burbon Pecan Pie
The drizzly stuff didn’t taste like much of anything to me, but the pie itself was really good. So rich I couldn’t finish it, in fact. Overall, a nice experience at a restaurant close to home, and even with three courses we didn’t break the bank. I’m sure we’ll hit Stella up again, if only to fulfill my crazy steak cravings for cheap.